Thursday, March 31, 2011

Preparing our garden

First of all, I can't believe it's been over a year since I've posted.  Guess life changes a LOT with two little ones :)

I'm going to be working through the Homeschool Village Garden Challenge with Anthony, which is going to require me to be posting on here.  I'm really hoping it leads to more regular posting... I really love using this as a way to document our life.

So here we go!


This is the main area we will be planting our garden.  Our house is currently for sale, so I'm not sure if we will be here to reap the benfits of having a garden, but it will bless whoever the new owners are I'm sure.  This is also our last year here in the USA as we will be moving to the Dominican Republic next spring.  Gardening is going to look a lot different there, so I want to expose my boys to the fun of planting a garden this year, however that ends up looking.

We plan on planting garlic, tomatoes, and basil this year, maybe some spinach and lettuce, and I'm sure some zucchini and beans.

I plan on following along with lessons from Homeschool Creations.  She does such an amazing job, and with life being a little on the crazy side right now, I am blessed to be able to use the work that someone else was able to put time into.  Anthony and I have loved everything we have done off the site, and I know the garden unit will be no different.  We just picked up our gardening books from the library yesterday, and am looking forward to going through them with the boys beginning next week.

I haven't gone into too many details yet about our garden plans with Anthony; it's hard being patient when you're 3!  We prepped our beds last weekend though and had fun playing in the dirt and looking at worms.  Our last freeze isn't until the end of May, so we have quite a while until we can actually start planting.  I'm hoping to start some seeds indoors soon and do some research into seeing if any crops can be planted early here.  I am still definitely a beginner gardener!

1 comment:

Zonnah said...

If your house does sell before you get to harvest, it will be a wonderful gift to the new owners. You never know it might help your house sell faster! Good luck.