Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2010 Goals

Over the weekend, my husband and I spent some time talking about our goals for the new year.  We went along with this post from Simple Mom.  (which by the way, if you haven't checked out, you should... I love this site!)  I love that it asked some very specific questions and wasn't just a broad "What are your goals for 2010?" It really helped us to focus on specific things, which I think will make the goals we set actually attainable.  It took us through some personal and health goals, goals for our marriage, family, and kids, financial goals, and other relationships.  Then it had you narrow it down to 5 specific ones.  Here are my top 5 goals for the new year:

1. Quiet time with Jesus daily: Although I wanted to say I'm going to read my word daily, I really felt like I'd be setting myself up to fail.  With a new baby arriving shortly, I will have lots of time in the middle of the night and in the early morning to spend with Jesus.  I hope this often involves opening up my Bible, but may also just be me being still before Him, spending time in prayer, or worshiping.

2. Lose baby weight and get in shape: When I am not pregnant, I'm a pretty small person.  This does not necessarily mean I'm in good shape though.  I hate it when people assume that!  Anyways, I really want to focus on this for the upcoming year.  I know the longer I wait to do this, the harder it will be to start.  I love doing Yoga and Pilates... I find them both relaxing and rewarding, and I always sleep better when I do it.  I also love the Wii Fit.  Anthony really enjoys playing along too, and Tony and I enjoy competing against each other on it.  I am also looking forward to the spring when we can go enjoy the outdoors here in the beautiful NW.

3. Become less selfish: This one will be hard, but it truly shows up in all areas of my life.  It has to do with control for me.  If I get my way, I feel like I'm in control.  I actually hate it though.  I really don't want to be in control... it's way to stressful!  How much easier it would be to surrender everything to Jesus and let Him take control, and in all actuality, He's already in control anyways.  I'm not sure why I spend so much time trying to control what I actually have no say over in the first place.  I think Matthew 10:39 is going to help me with this: "Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."  I want to let go of my own life, give it to Jesus, and focus on loving Him and those around me.  I know it will bring myself, and therefore my family, so much more peace and joy. 

4. Spend time daily ntentionally teaching Anthony: Anthony is smart.  I'm not just saying that because he's my son, but because he really is an extremely intelligent little boy.  He is so eager to learn and asks me everyday to do school with him.  I feel guilty for not taking more advantage of this.  Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself being the last 9 months have been filled with morning sickness and bed rest, but I still feel like I've failed him.  I've come up with a tentative plan, and have about a month's worth of lesson figured out already.  Each week we will focus on a different letter of the Alphabet and a specific thing that starts with that letter.  Then each day of the week will be a different subject.  For example, A will be for Ant.  We'll look at the different parts of an ant's body and do a craft using this for science.  For math, I'm going to make some ant hills with numbers on them... then he'll have to glue that many ants (raisins) onto each hill.  You get the idea.  I will then incorporate spanish and sign language into the lessons when appropriate.  I wish I could learn languages like he does!  I've also found an ABC list of verses to use.  It will help Tony and I in memorizing scripture too :)  Then in the fall, we hope to be able to afford to send him to preschool.  Not because I couldn't continue to teach him, but because he really thrives being with other kids.

5. Kiss my husband daily: I've noticed lately that sometimes we go a whole day without so much as a hug or kiss or anything... sometimes maybe even multiple days  In no way is this intentional.  It's not because we get in huge fights and are punishing each other or something  I love my husband, and I love to kiss him... He says he married me for my kisses :)  I think we both get so busy doing, that we forget to just be.  You hear stories of people who realize once the kids leave that they don't know each other anymore.  I don't want to be that couple!  We have a whole lifetime ahead us and I want to make sure I am continually putting into it.  I need to remember my relationship to my husband comes before my children.  I am not really sure how this actually plays out though with a 2 1/2 year old and a newborn arriving any day.  Anyone have any advice on this one?  I remember being so drained at the end of each day with Anthony, that by the time he went to bed, I had nothing left to give Tony.  I just wanted to go be by myself.  I can only imagine how much more I'm going to feel like this with two.

So there they are.  For the whole world to see, or whoever happens to read through all of this :)  Has anyone else taken time to think about what they hope to accomplish in the new year?  What are your top 5?

2 comments:

CanadianMama said...

such a good list!! Good luck!

ModernMom said...

A great list

Following from MBC 50 followers club. Great to meet you!!