Thursday, November 5, 2009

A lesson learned...

Yesterday was a LONG day... Anthony went to bed at 9:30 the night before and got up at 6am.  He ate a handful of cereal for breakfast, refused to eat lunch, and then we battled it out for a nap for over 3 hours before he finally gave in.  When he woke up, he cried for 20 mins because he wanted one of Mommy's vitamins.  Anthony is not a crier.  He never has been, so I had no idea how to respond.  Of course I didn't know why he was crying until he finally calmed down.  But then what was I suppose to do... he obviously still couldn't have one of my vitamins.  (What a wierd thing to be upset about!!!)  He ate only some pork for dinner, and then I put on a movie for him until Tony got home from Seattle.  Then we battled it out, again, until he finally went to sleep sometime after 9:30.

Then I couldn't sleep.  As I lay in bed, frustrated at my sweet little boy, I spent some time reflecting back over my day.  What went wrong?  I wanted to blame everything on Anthony, but as I prayed for some insight, I realized I had been pretty selfish with my time.  I spent my day on the computer, sewing, cleaning, and cooking.  And a good portion telling Anthony I would do "a" with him as soon as I finished "b".  I know specifically he asked to play cars, letters, baseball,  and guitars.  And did I do any of them?  Nope.  I went to bed feeling pretty horrible. 

So today, I'm going to try and change my attitude.  Instead of feeling like my day is being sabotaged by a little boy just wanting to play with his mommy, I'm going to see it just as that.  My guess is that I'll be surprised how much time will be left for me to accomplish what I need and want to do.

Does this challenge anyone else?  Anyone have any insight?

3 comments:

The Durhams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Durhams said...

I can't wait to be sabotaged by my little boy!

Veronica Lee said...

Hi! I'm visiting from MBC. Great blog.