Monday, November 9, 2009

Cloth Diapers

I have been super busy the past week working on baby's cloth diapers (among many other things of course!).  One of the things I spent some time doing was changing my pattern around so 1) it was no longer an exact replica of someone else's design and 2) to see if there was a way to speed up the process of making each diaper.  I was sucessful in both of these!



One of the things that I did was make all of the elastic removable by snaps.  I haven't used cloth diapers before, so I have no idea how long the elastic is good for before it starts to loose it's stretchiness.  Since we want to have 3 or 4 kids, I'm pretty sure that by the time baby #4 rolls around, it will have worn out.  I HATE ripping out seams, and you want to avoid holes in the PUL to keep it waterproof anyways, so I thought this would make life a lot easier for me down the road.  It also saves me time in having to sew in the elastic.  Snaps take only seconds to apply :)

I also made the elastic in the waistband adjustable.  Anthony is really small for his age, so he needs it pretty tight, but with baby #2 measuring into the 93rd% right now, there's a good chance he'll be a little bit  rounder than Anthony by the time he's 2.  This also makes it so I can add in more snaps if needed to get the fit perfect.

To help in speeding up the sewing process, I am using one piece of fabric for the inner layer and cutting a pocket, instead of sewing two pieces together to make one.  The suedecloth doesn't pill or unravel, so it is working out well to do this.  I am just sewing around the opening to reinforce it.



I am still working on perfecting the soaker inserts.  Since Anthony is potty trained, he's only wearing these when he's sleeping.  He pees a TON during the night though!  It has been an interesting process figuring out exactly how many layers of fabric he needs to wake up dry in the morning.  Last night was successful... he had either 7 or 8 layers of the microfiber.  I know there are lots of other materials out there I can try for the soakers; wool, bamboo, hemp, etc., but I really don't want to waste my money on more fabric that may or may not work.  However, I did just get some bamboo fleece that I am going to try using with the microfiber.  Anyone made there own inserts before?  I've also read that it takes 5 washings for the diaper to reach it's maximum absorbency.  We've had no problems during naps though, which is great!

SO there you go... that's how the cloth diapering is going :)

1 comment:

Christina said...

You're doing such a good job on these, Laura! Have you considered opening up an Etsy shop? ...then again, maybe you're completely tired of making diapers already :o)