Friday, October 30, 2009

A Solution...


My husband hates getting rid of his clothes.  He still has stuff from Jr High that he hasn't worn since then.  A few months ago I convinced him that he needed to start going through his drawers.  How'd I do it?  I told him I would make those clothes into a quilt.  I'm pretty sure he's forgotten about it by now, but I've stashed all the old t-shirts away to pull out for his Christmas present.  A quilt.  A lot of the shirts do have some memory or story behind them, so I do understand why he holds onto them, but I think making them into a quilt is a much better solution to preserve his memories.  (And keep my sanity when trying to put his laundry away.)  I have 28 shirts in the pile below:

and after cutting and laying them out on another quilt as a template, here's what I ended up with:

 My squares are going to end up being 14.5".  Kind of a weird size, but it'll work.  I finished the squares for the top row today.  It took a LOT longer than I expected, but then again I've never made a quilt like this either.  I'm sure I'll get faster at it the more I do.  Here's my first 4 finished squares:

What do you think?  Do you like my idea?

4 comments:

Christina said...

I LOVE it!! I've been tempted to do something similar in the past... can't wait to see the finished quilt!

mommywonderland said...

You are so cute and creative! Love the idea and he will love it! Hope he doesnt sneak peaks at your blog like mine does :)

Laura said...

Surprisingly he never reads it. He's on the computer so much for work, he hardly ever gets on it leisurely.

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

Oh my gosh! I love this idea. My husband is the same way. I DREAD putting laundry away because there isn't any room in the drawers they're so full of old shirts. I have to do this. You've solved all my problems... :)