Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I think I may be crazy...

Ever since we found out we were expecting again, Tony and I have been "joking" about using cloth diapers this time around to save some money. Although I know cloth diapers have come along way since I was in them, I still could only picture the white cloth folded up with diaper pins properly placed. You know, like these ones:


I started to do some looking into them, out of curiosity, and was amazed at how many cute and practical options are out there. And expensive! I know in the long run cloth ends up being cheaper than disposable, but seriously. Who has an extra $500 laying around for diapers with everything else you need to buy Especially when you still have to pay an arm and a leg to actually give birth to the baby. I kept doing some research though and found a lot of patterns out there for making your own. So this past weekend, I bought a pattern from Junktique at Etsy, and materials to try it out. (I actually had to improvise on some of the fabrics and notions... apparently you can't buy most of what was needed in a store) I was pretty impressed with how they turned out, and so was my hubby, so... I've decided on making my own. I ordered enough supplies today to start out with 6. They'll run me about $8-9 per diaper. Much cheaper than the $19 bumgenius diapers I'd been considering. Once I hit 30, I'll be done. Here's a picture of what they'll look like. I am going to make some slight modifications from the original pattern, but they'll still look about the same. I think I may be crazy...

2 comments:

Bethany said...

You are so creative! Sounds like a fun and practical project!

The Durhams said...

I remember when my three younger siblings were little that we used those cloth diapers w/ the pins. They even had the blue plastic heads on them like the picture you posted. I don't know how many times I accidentally poked them while trying to put the diapers on. They were wiggly kids! Kudos to whoever started using velcro!!!