Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Homemade Cloth Diapers: Take 1




Here it is. My first homemade cloth diaper using all the correct materials. What do you think? It turned out just how it was suppose to, which is always good, but there are some things about it I'm not a huge fan of. So, now I'm going to start making some changes. My first change: the soaker. As you can see in the second picture, the soaker snaps into the diaper so it can be removed when washed and speed up drying time. All I can think about though is that in order to pull it out, you have to touch whatever is inside the diaper. Gross!!! I am going to try to adapt this tutorial for making a pocket diaper to work with the pattern I have. The pocket is on the outside of the diaper, which I think means less contact with the not so pleasant things. My second change will be trying out Velcro along the top instead of snaps. The snaps are easy to put on and very secure, but not at all fast if you're trying to diaper a wiggly baby. Also, when the diaper is in the largest size, there are two snaps left to dig into baby's skin. I can't imagine that to be comfortable!

Well, Anthony's napping, so I'm off to start diaper #2.

PS- I am able to get 10 diapers per yard, not the 6 to 8 I was thinking. Woohoo!!!

1 comment:

Cecil, Tracy, and Solinho said...

10 diapers/ yard!!!!! AMAZING GIRL!!!!! Congrats on the diaper!!! It looks GREAT!!!!!! I've been trying to think of new ways to make diapers better too.
hugs! ~Tracy