Tuesday, January 27, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

I originally did this to respond to a post on Facebook. I thought it was fun so I'm posting it on my blog too. I'd love to hear 25 random things about you too.

1. I am currently taking Spanish lessons. I am learning so much, and I am so thankful to have such a great teacher.

2. I miss my friends. A lot. I wish I knew how to still be close with them even though I don't live nearby.

3. I miss my sisters too.

4. I am a dreamer. Someday I hope to do a LOT of different things.

5. I learned sign language in K-4th grade and I still remember it. I've been teaching it to Anthony since he was born. It has been soooo helpful. He first signed "milk" at 6 months. His new favorite sign is "roller skate."

6. I love to read. I have a hard time starting a book and then putting it down. If I read before I go to bed I will stay up all night.

7. I remember very very little from my childhood. I have some memory of middle school, but I really don't start remembering until high school. I think this is a good thing...

8. My husband is my high school sweetheart. We have been together for 6 1/2 years (minus 10 months for MC) and married for 3 of them.

9. I think the book "Love and Respect" is a must read for anyone who is married. And I think it should be read over and over again until you both "get" it. Someday I hope to do a small group on the book. Not because I'm anywhere close to mastering the concepts, but because I think it's so powerful.

10. My husband spoiled me with a dozen roses every month when we were dating. I received over 30 dozen roses within a couple years.

11. I love to learn. I love school and wish it were not so expensive. Someday I want to finish my bachelor's degree. I want to major in Sociology and get my teaching certificate.

12. I want to live abroad. There is so much more world than the US, and I hope to experience life in many different cultures (and share Jesus along the way).

13. I am finally returning to the Dominican Republic. After 4 years of longing to go back, God has finally answered my prayers. I can't wait to go serve the people and missionaries there. Only 32 days until we arrive!!!

14. I have Celiac disease. For all practical purposes I'm allergic to gluten (wheat, rye, and barley). Really it's an autoimmune disease. If I eat gluten my body does not recognize it as food, and it will not absorb any nutrients. My body then thinks it is starving. There's more to it, but it's way different than an allergy. It is difficult to diagnose, and I was sick for a good 8 years until I got a new doctor who figured it out.

15. I love board games. Yatzee is my favorite because I almost always win. Actually it's my favorite because Tony always looses :o)

16. I am horrible at remembering movies. Unless I've seen one multiple times I couldn't tell you a thing about it. Even if I loved it. Even if I watched it yesterday.

17. Tony and I have very large confusing families. Between the two of us we have 14 siblings, 5 in-laws, 4 nieces, and 1 nephew. And that's just the kids. Let's just say Christmas gets expensive.

18. I am afraid of heights. Not terrified, but it's pretty much the last thing I'd want to do. Looking over the edge of something high is the worst. I get nauseated just watching others do it.

19. I love being "domesticated." I love cooking, sewing, and keeping the house clean and organized. Now if only I knew when to hold my tongue, I'd be the perfect wife :o)

20. I am scared to death to have another baby, even though I've already had one.

21. I had braces for 7 years and my teeth still aren't perfectly straight.

22. I love Mexican food. I could eat it every meal of everyday. And I'm not talking Taco Bell Mexican. I love the spicy, authentic stuff full of cilantro.

23. I am currently watching Madagascar in Spanish and eating Captain Crunch.

24. When I go to Starbucks I order a white chocolate americano with lots of cream... tall if it's hot and grande if it's iced.

25. When I die, I hope to be remembered as a loving wife and mother who served the Lord in everything I did.

3 comments:

Christina said...

Laura, I absolutely loved reading this. I have comments:

Fact #5: I want to teach Camden to sign. Should I start now? Help!

Fact #7: Tell me you remember our matching bikini's and cute outfits that we wore to school on the same day?? lol!

Fact #19: When you figure out how to hold your tongue, share with me, will ya? I've got the rest down too! :o)

Fact #25: Don't forget 'friend' in there! You're fabulous! You're more than just a mama/wife, P.S.



...and you're a great writer. Keep these fun posts coming! (and did I mention I'm kinda trying to talk Ryan into moving over there?)

Laura said...

Are you serious?!? You should so move over here!!! Our little guys could be best friends :o) I'm sure you know from living in Pullman the weather is way better over here, and buying a house is actually possible. I'm full of reasons why you should. I'll help you convince Ryan :o)

#5- I started to write back about this one but then I realized it was going to be really long. I'll write a post about tomorrow.

#7- I think I remember we had matching striped shirts... maybe one was red and white and one was blue and white? Isn't it sad that I can't remember. I dealt with way too much with my family... my brain has blocked a lot of years of my life. I remember being on crutches at the same time though. Actually it's hard to know what I really remember and what I think I remember because I've seen pictures or been told stories. Someday I hope to get my memory back.

#19- Haha... yeah it might be a while. Right now I'm trying to think "Is what I'm about to say need to be said or do I just want to say it so I feel better?" Usually it's the latter, and usually I say it anyways. I think it's a step though at least being aware of the things I don't need to say. Next step... Not saying them.

#25- Thanks! I hope to be remembered for that too.

Christina said...

We had those shirts, yes... and a red and white bikini and a blue and white bikini.. and red pants with a top that had, hmm... maybe a denim vest over a white tee?? (giggle!)

Yep--we were on crutches together... remember racing through the halls of your church? and the hallway in my grandparents house?? lol!!

Speaking of pictures, I ran across an old one of us at my 6th grade graduation. I need to scan and post it for you.

P.S., I just commented on another one of your posts.. about involving Anthony more. Didn't want you to miss it.